The Columbia County Rural Library District Board of Trustees reaffirms its intention to carry out and fulfill the duties and obligations imposed upon all Library Boards under RCW 27.12.
It is the policy of the Columbia Country Rural Library District Board of Trustees, through the Library Administration and staff, to protect and secure, by whatever lawful means necessary, the property and materials entrusted to it for preservation, research or loan to the general public the Columbia County Rural Library District system serves. Following is a list of fines and fees that may be imposed pursuant to RCW 27.12.210; RCW 27.12.340.
To encourage readers to use the library without fear of accumulating fines, no overdue fines will be charged on material that is late. However, as a courtesy to the library’s public, overdue notices will go out on the 11th day an item is overdue and once again on the 30th day an item is overdue. All patrons will be held responsible and encouraged to return material on time so that other patrons may have the opportunity to check out library material. According to RCW 27.12.340 “Willfully retaining any property belonging to the library is a class 4 civil infraction.”
All patrons will be held responsible for lost or damaged materials. All costs listed herein are subject to periodic review and possible changes.
OVERDUE LIBRARY MATERIAL CHARGES
No fines charged on overdue material; however, courtesy notices will be generated on the 11th and 30th days an item is overdue. Courtesy notice may be in form of email notice, phone call or paper copy.
All items 90 days overdue convert to lost, and a lost fee is charged in lieu of an overdue charge. The fee for lost items overdue is $1.50 per book up to a maximum of $6.00 plus replacement cost of material.
The actual cost of the material or a default cost for the material as indicated on the list below is charged
- The patron owes for the replacement cost of the item if lost.
- The patron owes both the lost fee and the replacement charges if the item is 90 days or more overdue.
- If the item is returned, the patron still owes the lost fee charge of $1.50 per book up to a maximum of $6.00 if the item is 90 days or more overdue.
- If item is returned prior to 90 days of being overdue, no fee will be charged.
- If the patron, with the approval of the Library Manager or Director, provides the Library with a suitable replacement for the lost item, the replacement charge and lost fee are waived.
- If a patron pays the replacement charges and the lost fee and later returns the “lost” item to the Library, no refund is given. The patron may keep the book or donate it to the Library.
DEFAULT REPLACEMENT COSTS
These are costs incurred when the purchase price of an item is not available through library records. Default replacement costs are the same for Young Adult materials, Adult materials, and Juvenile materials.
|CDs (audio book)||$30.00|
|Single Audio CD||$15.00|
|Mass market paperbacks||$5.00|
|Damaged beyond repair||Full replacement cost|
|Non-resident senior card (62+)||$20.00/year|
|Non-resident 3-month card||$15.00|
|Single DVD/CD case||$1.00|
|Multiple DVD/CD case||$10.00|
|Printer & Copier Charges:|
|Letter/legal black and white||$.10/side|
|Ledger black and white||$.20/side|
|International Faxes||Rate per phone company|
Fines, fees, and other charges may be waived by the branch manager or director
Adopted February 14, 2008
Amended January 28, 2010
Amended November, 2014